Painful Growth

Grow. Equally synonyms with growth in my mind is pain. I’ve never grown without pain. It’s either a painful circumstance that humbles me and I grow from it, or it’s the pain of dying to self as I grow closer into the likeness of Christ. I have a lot of pain left to experience! The thing with painful growth lessons is you remember them. The clique “No pain, no gain” is even more true in the spiritual realm than it is the physical.

A close girlfriend once told me she thought I was addicted to pain. I laughed but since have realized it’s true. I’m addicted to pain, to growth. Why? Because that is where Christ is! Katie Davis sums it up well:
"I realize that the hard places are good because it is there that I gained more wisdom, & though with wisdom comes sorrow on the other side of sorrow is joy. And a funny thing happens when I realize this: I want to go to the hard place again. Again and again and again."
 Growth. Pain. Joy.

Do you shy from the hard places? From the pain that comes with growth? An other friend joked that he wished he could invent spiritual growth painkillers. Again I laughed, but then – should we take them? Wouldn’t we miss the growth that comes only through the pain?

I don’t like pain, but at the same time is missing out on the blessing of the intense fellowship with Christ that comes through the pain worth the temporary fix of the ‘pain killers’ we like to use?
Lewis writes on through the tough painful growth things in the Last Battle and says
“I almost wish–no I don’t, though,” said Jill. “What were you going to say?” “I was going to say I wished we’d never come. But I don’t, I don’t, I don’t. Even if we are killed, I’d rather be killed fighting for Narnia than grow old and stupid at home... and then die in the end just the same.”

Is growth worth the pain? Worth the risk? Do you, do I, like the way I am enough now to stay this way? To miss the adventure? I’ve come to realize it’s worth the pain to grow. Embrace pain for He is there in it – I’ve found Him– in a way that is more real than you can imagine. Grow.

5 Minute Friday Prompt. Word – Grow. 5 minutes of unedited writing simply for the joy of it! Come join the fun and link up your blog at The Gypsy Momma.

7 comments:

Scott Gingerich November 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM  

So good Katie! Pain is a funny thing, the way we don't desire, yet we do! Thanks for sharing!

Belle November 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

I know you are right, but I fight against the pain sometimes. I wish we could grow during good times, but I think that is impossible.

Suzanne McClendon November 19, 2011 at 10:31 PM  

I tend to agree with Belle. I don't want the pain. I'm tired of the pain...just tired in general. I would love to do some of this growing in a happy way, not the heart-breaking, painful way. But, that isn't to be. PTL that we have Him through it all.

I enjoyed reading your post and am a new follower. You've given me much to ponder. Have a blessed weekend.

NotUnredeemed November 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM  

Thanks for the encouragement Scott! Belle and Suzanne, I totally agree! I have begged the Lord to let me learn through and in the good times. For a chance to steward the good times for Him and grow then. He has allowed me to, but more often than not it's the pain that makes me realize that I was in a good time and didn't even see it!

Then a funny thing happens - I'm starting to realize that the painful times ARE the good times. For the pain keeps me real and the struggle lets me know I'm alive!

Trina November 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

I awarded you the Liebster Award! Read this post to see why! http://www.trinaholden.com/2011/11/relevant-highlight-2-connecting-with.html

Here were the 'rules' of this award as they were passed on to me, but please don't feel pressure to follow through unless the Lord leads. I just wanted to let you know how much I've been blessed to know you.

~ 1 ~ When you receive this award, copy and paste it to your blog.
~ 2 ~ Thank the blogging friend who awarded you and make sure you link back to their blog so others can check out their fabulous blog too.
~ 3 ~ Choose your five (5) up-and-coming blog picks then go share the love by commenting on their blog.
~ 4 ~ Hope and encourage that the recipients will spread the love to other up and coming blogs! (Be sure to check their blogs for the list to check out other great blogs!)

Keep blogging and writing, you are lovely!
Blessings,
Trina

Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 10:02 PM  

Um, we've never met before, so I'm trying to figure out how you know me so well! I keep reading your blog posts and thinking, "This feels like my story. This woman is blogging my story." So, for what it's worth-thanks. Sometimes it's good to hear my own thoughts come from a stranger. I've had a hard time getting them down on my own blog.

Merry Christmas:-)

NotUnredeemed December 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM  

Kim!
Thanks for the encouragement! It really means a lot. Just yesterday I was wondering why I blogged - well it seems God is writing both our stories! So glad it was able to encourage you! Merry Christmas!

About Me

My photo
I'm a fun loving, people person, with a passion for ministry and the Lord. My greatest desire is to see people come to realize who they are in Christ and how that effects every area of their relationships and lives.I want to know Him more.